Contracts: Obiano, Umahi, Ugwuanyi urged to probe Authur Eze

0
68
Prince Arthur Eze

THREE governors in the South East have been asked to commence the probe of multi million dollar rural water supply contracts awarded to firms belonging to Anambra State born businessman, Prince Authur Eze.

In a petition on Friday in Enugu, three officials of the South East Development Initiative (SEDI), implored the state governors of Anambra, (Willie Obiano) Ebonyi (Dave Umahi) and Enugu Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi to start the probe in the next 21 days.  

They stated, “Your Excellencies, the unconscionable abuse of the AfDB loans to old Anambra running into millions of dollars is too grave a matter to be swept under the carpet.

“We demand that you investigate this economic rape of our people, their children’s children since 1991.”

The statement signed by Joseph Onwe, (President) Chukwuemeka Nwodo (Secretary) and Ikem Onwudiwe (deputy secretary) stated that the three states had been paying interests on loans through direct deductions from their federation accounts without them benefiting from the projects.

They claimed that two of the major contracts financed by the Cote d’Ivoire based African Development Bank (AfDB) and running into millions of dollars were awarded in 1991 for rural water supply in old Anambra.

According to the statement, “the two contracts were awarded to Kings Engineering Company and Triax Engineering both located in New Haven, Enugu and owned by Prince Authur Eze.

“Not less than 80 percent of the contract sums were paid for in U.S. dollars and the remaining 20 percent in local currency.”

The statement claimed that the old Anambra government awarded a third contract, the building of Industrial Development Center (IDC) in Awka.

It added that although the profit margin for each of the contracts was 20 percent, the contracts were not executed. 

Reminding Eze that he owes Ebonyi, Enugu, and Anambra states the duty to explain what became of the contract, the statement pointed out that “huge amounts are subtracted monthly from your state’s entitlements from the federation allocation account to pay for the loans plus interest.

“And the deductions will go on for 20 and a half years.

“You may not even know that the terrible execution of the AfDB contracts led to the inglorious exit of Bubakar Ndiaye, a from the AfDB, as chief executive.”

At the end of the ultimatum, the SEDI officials noted that they will be compelled to take the matter to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) hoping that President Muhammadu Buhari will intervene  if the governors fail to take action.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here