THE Deputy Governor of Kaduna State, Dr Hadiza Balarabe has explained that the two weeks extension of the lockdown in the state was necessitated by the needs to secure the gains of the long period of lockdown so far.
In her broadcast on Tuesday, she had said that the government was aware of the sacrifices citizens have made and, “this is why the state government has adjusted and extended the Quarantine Orders by two weeks to empower citizens to more steadfastly carry forward the fight against COVID-19.”
She noted that easing the lockdown requires that citizens demonstrate greater compliance with laid down protocols, like the wearing of face masks in public, observance of physical distancing staying away from large gatherings and periodic washing of hands.
According to her, “violation of these protocols will compel the government to reimpose restrictions,” especially if there are any spike in the cases.
In her broadcast, Balarabe noted that with effect from June 1, the revised regulations will give citizens a three-day window weekly to shop for food and other essentials, following the pains of the restrictions from the past 60 days of lockdown.
She said, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, neighbourhood markets will operate from 10am to 4pm, citizens can move from 6am to 6pm while private sector firms will also operate.
“This window also allows vulcanisers, welders, mechanics and providers of similar services to operate on the same days,” she stated, but the prohibition of interstate and intercity travel remained in force.
Under the new regime, schools, bars, sporting venues and event centers, places of worship and markets remain closed, and “government officials and mobile courts will enforce the ban to prevent people spreading the virus through non-essential movement.”
The deputy governor said that restaurants would be allowed to open “strictly to offer takeaway services,” and hotels not specifically licensed as essential service providers during this period will remain closed.