The IG, AGF and Osinbajo would be charged before the ICC as above stated, for looking the other way, and deliberately failing / neglecting to arrest and prosecute Prof Ango Abdullahi, Shettima and his Group, etc, since the 06/06/2017 when this DESPICABLE Threat was issued against Ndigbo in the North
A legal practitioner has on behalf of Ndigbo residents in the North, filed three suits at the Abuja Federal High Court (FHC) and the ECOWAS Court compelling the Inspector General (IG), to arrest and prosecute all those led by Alhaji Yerima Shettima under the aegis of Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF), within seven days, for issuing the quit notice to Ndigbo in the North.
In a statement Sunday in Enugu, Vincent Egechukwu Obetta stated that he filed a fundamental rights enforcement suit at the ECOWAS Court, against Shettima, the IG and the Federal Government of Nigeria, to enforce the fundamental right of Ndigbo in the North, to move freely throughout Nigeria, and to reside in any part thereof.
Obetta, a former defence lawyer for Nnamdi Kanu noted that if the court fails to grant the reliefs, he would proceed to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, to press criminal charges against Shettima, IG, the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Prof Ango Abdullahi for “aiding and abetting a second genocide against the Ndigbo in the North,” after the first genocide in 1966. Also included is Prof Yemi Osinbajo, who was the acting President of Nigeria when the threat of a genocide against Ndigbo in the North, was issued.
Describing the suspension of the quit notice by the AYCF as cynical, Obetta noted that “this so-called suspension of the Quit Notice cannot in law, extinguish the grave offence committed by Yerima and his group against Ndigbo in the North. Nothing short of such arrest and prosecution will suffice to settle above three suits, as filed.”
TEXT OF THE WORLD PRESS STATEMENT
I, Barr. Vincent Egechukwu Obetta, Director STREETLAW AFRICA INC. on behalf of all Indigenes of the South East Zone of Nigeria resident in the Northern parts of Nigeria, (hereinafter referred to as Ndigbo resident in the North), hereby issue the following World Press Statement that:
- On 11/07/2017, I, on behalf of Ndigbo residents in the North, filed 3 suits at the Abuja Federal High Court (FHC) and ECOWAS Court respectively, comprising (a) A Motion for an Order of Mandamus of the FHC, compelling the Inspector General of Police (IGP), to arrest and prosecute WITHIN 7 DAYS, all such Persons led by one Alhaji Yerima Shettima under the aegis of Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF), who on 06/06/2017, issued a Treasonable Notice to Ndigbo in the North, to vacate the Region before the 01/10/2017, or else …. (b) A Fundamental Rights Enforcement Suit filed at the FHC, against Alh Yerima Shettima, the IGP and the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN), to enforce the Fundamental Rights of Ndigbo in the North, to move freely throughout Nigeria, and to reside in any part thereof, as guaranteed them under Section 41(1) of the 1999 Constitution as amended (c) A Fundamental Rights Enforcement Suit filed at the ECOWAS Court, against Alh Yerima Shettima, the IGP and the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN), to enforce the Fundamental Right of Ndigbo in the North, to move freely throughout Nigeria, and to reside in any part thereof.
- I hereby put the above Respondents on Notice that if it pleases the Hon Court to grant the above Mandamus Order as prayed, and the IGP fails and neglects to comply with such Order of Mandamus of the FHC within the timeline thereon specified, I would have no other choice than to proceed to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Holland, to press Criminal Charges against them, of Aiding and Abetting a second Genocide against the Ndigbo in the North, the first Genocide having taken place in 1966 with no one held to account in that regard, till date.
My Criminal Suit for such second Genocide against Ndigbo in the North, will be filed against (i) Alh Yerima Shettima (ii) The IGP (iii) The Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) as the Chief Law Officer of Nigeria (iv) Prof Ango Abdullahi and (v) Prof Yemi Osinbajo as the Ag. President of Nigeria when the 06/06/2017 Threat of a second Genocide against Ndigbo in the North, was issued.
The IGP, AGF and Prof Yemi Osinbajo would be charged before the ICC as above stated, for looking the other way, and deliberately failing / neglecting to arrest and prosecute Prof Ango Abdullahi, Alh. Yerima Shettima and his Group, etc, since the 06/06/2017 when this DESPICABLE Threat was issued against Ndigbo in the North; and thereby Aiding, Abetting, Condoning and Encouraging a second Genocide against Ndigbo in the North.
- Should it become necessary to proceed to the ICC due to a REFUSAL by the IGP to PROMPTLY comply with above Order of Mandamus, NOTHING will stop us from revisiting and pressing Charges at the said ICC, against ALL the Ringleaders of the 1966 Genocide against Ndigbo in the North.
- It has just been announced with cynical fanfare, that the above AYCF has ‘suspended’ its 6/6/17 ‘Quit Notice’ against Ndigbo in the North. I hereby wish to make it categorically clear that this so-called suspension of the Quit Notice CANNOT in law, extinguish the GRAVE OFFENCE committed by Alh Yerima and his Group against Ndigbo in the North, on 06/06/17. Alh. Yerima MUST be arrested and prosecuted alongside other Ring-Leaders of the AYCF, for their TREASONABLE THREAT against Ndigbo, to quit the North before the 01/10/2017. NOTHING short of such Arrest and Prosecution will suffice to settle above 3 Suits, as filed.
- It is no longer News that the cynical silence and manifest bias of the FGN and its Agencies since the 06/06/2017 when the Treasonable Threat against Ndigbo was issued, has encouraged and opened a floodgate of ‘Hate Speeches and Songs’ currently awash on the Internet.
- Ndigbo in the North and indeed all over Nigeria, have been the butt / victims of Cynicism, Oppression, Repression and Extreme Marginalization since the end of the Civil War on 15/01/1970. Ndigbo in the North have ever since, been serially and SEVERALLY attacked and massacred at the slightest pretext, by Northern Elements such as the Alh. Shettima’s AYCF.
- Irrespective of all above atrocities daily committed against Ndigbo in Nigeria, the latter have remained calm and focused on their Businesses and Enterprises, which have contributed in no small measure to the economic and social development of Nigeria; all what they get in return is daily Oppression, Repression, Extreme Marginalization and sometimes outright massacre in the hands of misguided elements in the North.
8. Worse still, the FGN which Constitutional Duty it is to safeguard the lives and property of Ndigbo throughout the Federation, has consistently looked the other way in the face of all above atrocities, thereby aiding, abetting, condoning and encouraging same.
9. The 1966 Massacre of Igbos in the North, was not only condoned, but was celebrated by the eminent Northerners who indeed gloated openly, over the gruesome event.
10. The 1966 Genocide against Igbos in the North, has since the end of Civil War, been swept under the carpet to the extent that it has been banned by the FGN, from being mentioned in History Lessons in ALL Nigerian Schools. Furthermore, it is NOT even allowed to be mentioned in public and any such mention otherwise, is regarded by the Nigerian State, as Treason.
11. Since 2015 when the Incumbent FGN came to power, the cries and agitations of Ndigbo against above Repression and Marginalization, have been equated to Treason against the State, to the extent that unarmed and defenseless civilians have been severally shot at and killed by Soldiers of the Nigerian Army especially at Onitsha, Anambra State.
A recent Report issued by Amnesty International says that not less than 150 such unarmed and defenseless civilians have been shot at and killed by Soldiers of the Nigerian Army especially at Onitsha, since 2015.
12. It is extremely distressing that coming out of all the recent discourse across the Federation, (which Discourse has been ignited by the ongoing Agitations by Ndigbo), Prof Yemi Osinbajo and ALL other eminent / elder Statesmen have obscenely remarked that in as much as Alh. Yerima Shettima’s Quit Notice to Ndigbo in the North is condemnable, the ongoing agitations by the same Ndigbo should STOP FORTHWITH.
That is, they mean that the TREASON committed by Alh. Yerima Shettima on 06/06/2017, is a befitting Response to the agitations of Ndigbo, which agitations have since the end of the Civil War, been equated to Treason in any event.
13. This ABSURD, NONSENSICAL, ILLOGICAL, EXTREMELY INSENSITIVE and IMMORAL position held as above by our elder Statesmen, is akin to positing that a child who is being pummeled and brutalized by his older sibling, can only be rescued from his assailant when he stops crying. That is, for as long as the pummeled child continues to cry, the Pummeling is justified and MUST continue!
14. A Threat bordering on a flagrant violation of the Fundamental Rights of Ndigbo in the North, and a Notice to the latter, of a second Genocide against them should they fail to comply with such Threat, is regarded under the law as such Fundamental Right already violated, and the Genocide executed.
15. Under the hallowed principle of ‘ubi jus ubi remedium’ it is hard to see how the Agitations of an oppressed and marginalized people have violated the Rights of any other Nigerian in any manner whatsoever. On the other hand, the above Threat by Alh. Yerima Shettima and his Group, CLEARLY violates the Fundamental Rights of Ndigbo in the North.
Notwithstanding, the FGN has as above, perversely and consistently held that such Agitations constitute an act of Treason against the State, and therefore DESERVE to be met with Threats of Genocide and Expulsion from the North, by Alh. Shettima and his ilk.
Gentlemen of the press, may I use this opportunity to thank the United Nations who issued a statement in Geneva on Friday calling on the FGN to immediately arrest members of the Arewa youth group.
16. Finally, I hereby call on all men of good conscience all over the World (US President, UK Prime Minister, President of China Republic etc), to turn their much eagerly awaited attention to the above deplorable plight of Ndigbo in Nigeria, and bring their influence to bear, to save Ndigbo from IMMINENT ANNIHILATION from the surface of the earth! We must not allow ugly history to repeat itself in this generation.
LONG LIVE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA!!!
SIGNED: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta Esq.